August 19, 2012

A Little Rusty but let's give it a try.

When I had started this blog I was in college, just finishing my senior year of undergraduate work. I titled it "A Constant State of Exhaustion" because that's what it felt like at the time, and how it continued through Graduate School. I wasn't even sewing yet when it originally started. I was a huge geeky scifi print nerd. I still am, there's shelves in my sewing room/space/studio where fandoms have collided.

That changed in 2007 when a friend said the following: "Wait a minute, you can run a flexo press but cannot using a sewing machine?" So, on my two week vacation between Summer and Fall semester I learned how to sew and haven't stopped.

I've had no formal training or much in the way of informal for that matter either! My mum helped me sew boxers, pants and a shirt, and clothing patterns still mystify me for the most part. But somewhere in that two week period I figured out how to use a sewing machine and sew a relatively straight line, I started quilt blocks and haven't looked back.

I've picked up most of what I know from the internet and a LOT of quality time with a seam ripper. My knowledge of paper figuring has worked to my advantage with figuring fabric yields and occasionally making someone wince at my disregard for grain direction at times. [There I admitted my first bad habit of not always paying attention to the grain]

My Kiwi friend and associate in quilting crimes, Susan from over at Susan's Patchwork Blog has been after me a while to finally start posting things on my blog.

I finally got my sewing room/space/studio finished up. It's only take about two years and various permutations to find something that I liked. I thought it would only take a weekend to do it, forgetting that my right & dominant arm is in a short arm cast for another week. Ah well, two weekends and a few nights after work, one too many trips to Harbor Feight and Lowe's I'm done! Just in time for the Moda Bakeshop's Stash link party.

My way to many pictures can be found over on myStudio and Stash Flickr page.

So in summary, I'm Kelly. I'm from Kansas. I'm a geek, uber print geek, and I'm more familiar with hills, corn, soybean and alfalfa than I am with plains, wheat and prairie. And I quilt.

IMG_0096

1 comment:

Susan said...

Squeeeeeee! *waves* from New Zealand